Gun safety course promotion is the key to not only growing your business, but also educating the public on responsible firearms ownership. You’re passionate about helping people learn how to safely use their guns, but defensive firearms training outreach can be challenging. How will people learn about your services if you are unable to reach them?
That’s where crafting a robust firearms instruction digital strategy comes in!
In the following sections, you’ll find the latest shooting range marketing tactics that will help you better engage with the firearms community, spread your brand, and get more leads. So whether you need advanced shooting skills, advertising tips, or want to promote your beginner firearms safety training courses, you’ll find everything you need here to help you hit the mark!
Identifying and Engaging Target Audiences for Gun Training
The first step toward crafting your firearms instruction digital strategy is to identify your target audience so you can properly engage with them. Businesses across industries are in the same position as you in this regard. Without knowing who you’re advertising to, how can you ever know what your marketing strategy should look like?
Here are four steps you can take to help you identify and engage your target audience:
- Define your goals and training solutions: Firearms training is a huge umbrella term, because people seeking training have nearly countless goals they’re trying to reach. What type of training will you be offering? Will you focus on self-defense, sport shooting, overall gun education, or something else? Once you know what type of training you’ll be offering, you can tailor your approach to resonate with the people seeking that exact type of firearms training.
- Hone in on demographics: Demographic studies are crucial in the world of marketing. You can’t advertise to everyone — instead, narrow your sights on a small slice of the population to get a much better return on your investment (ROI). Consider age groups, geographical locations, professions, gender, and so forth. For instance, young professionals may be interested in self-defense courses, while outdoor enthusiasts may be interested in shooting as a sport. Geographical location is especially crucial if your business is tied to a specific shooting range.
- Understand your audience’s pain points: After determining more accurately who your target audience demographics are, take some time to understand their pain points. Pain points refers to the wants, needs, and struggles of your target audience, so you can be the solution they’ve been looking for. Use surveys, forms, focus groups, and studies to gain more insight into your target audience. You can also take some time to look at your competition to see how they’re talking to your slice of the firearms community.
- Create content that speaks to your audience: After completing the last three steps, you’re ready to start the engagement phase. Use the information you’ve gathered to create content that speaks directly to your target audience. Share success stories, provide educational content, and showcase your services that correspond directly to their interests. This will help you attract people who are more likely to want your services, which will help grow your business while also helping to promote responsible gun ownership.
Engagement is at the heart of any successful firearms instruction digital strategy. Next, you need to understand the tools at your disposal that will help you get the best results.
Utilizing Digital Platforms for Gun Training Promotion
We’re living in the digital age — no question about it. A 2021 article from Pew Research Center states that 85% of Americans own a smartphone. That means nearly 300 million Americans are using their smartphones to spend time online, buy products, watch videos, research topics, and more. And all the while, they’ll of course be seeing digital ads.
You need to be tapping into the realm of digital marketing if you want to get more leads and grow your brand. There are several ways you can start doing this, and here are a few of them:
- Optimize your website: A fully optimized website is the key to your digital marketing success. It’s where people will learn about your business, find answers to their questions, connect with you, and sign up for one of your firearms training courses. Make sure your website is easy to navigate, optimized for mobile, and fully branded to your business. It should also have quick loading times while still featuring high-quality picture and video content.
- Use social media: Social media is a fantastic tool for engaging with your target audience and achieving successful defensive firearms training outreach. Some platforms to consider using include Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and X (formerly Twitter). Social media plays a big role in solidifying your branding, so we’ll look at this in more detail in the section below on building a strong brand.
- Tap into the power of video: Video is the king of content today. People spend hours watching both long and short-form videos on YouTube, Rumble, Instagram, TikTok, and more. This is good for you, because you can tap into the power of video by posting educational content on these platforms to bring in more leads and raise awareness of your gun safety and training services.
- Use email marketing: Email marketing has been around for a long time, and it’s not going anywhere. People who sign up for your email are high-quality leads because they’ve already expressed interest in your brand. It’s up to you to engage with your subscribers by offering them quality emails that educate and inspire them to sign up for their next — or first — training course. You can even offer exclusive discounts, offers, and classes to your subscribers to increase the value of your emails and convert more leads to sales!
- Try paid advertising: Paid advertising is a great way to expand your reach and put your business in front of more people in your target demographics. While it’s true that businesses in the firearms industry will face more digital advertising regulations than companies in other industries, it’s still entirely possible to use paid advertising effectively to grow your brand. More on that in the next section!
Navigating Legal and Safety Regulations in Gun Training Marketing
There’s no question that Big Tech has a vendetta against firearms. Whether you’ve experienced the Big Tech Blockade or know someone else in the industry who has, it’s easy to see that firearms-related content is heavily restricted. Companies like Meta and Google take a firm stance against most firearms-related content, making it difficult to advertise effectively on their platforms.
Familiarize yourself with the community guidelines and restrictions of the platforms where you intend to run your firearms-related ads. Most platforms will allow advertisements that encourage safety and responsible firearms ownership. Anything that depicts violence or even hints at violence will most likely be rejected. And sometimes, you may feel like you did everything right, and your ad will still be taken down.
There’s also a legal side to this coin. Legal regulations on federal, state, and local levels play a huge role in shaping the type of advertisements you can run. Certain firearms accessories and activities can be legal one day and illegal the next. Therefore, it’s crucial that you stay up-to-date with the latest firearms news to ensure you’re always abiding by the law.
The Solution — Advertise on Topple
Enter Topple — one of the most exciting tools available for gun training marketing and advertising! Topple is a digital advertising platform that makes it easy for companies in the firearms industry like yours to advertise their products and services. In fact, you can advertise anything on Topple, as long as it’s legal in the area where you’ll be running your ads.
So, whatever type of firearms training you specialize in, consider using Topple to get your services in front of as many relevant people as possible. Who knew that digital advertising for firearms and gun safety training could be so easy!
Innovative Teaching Techniques and Their Marketing Impact
Innovative teaching techniques in the firearms training industry can do more than enhance your clients’ learning experience. They can also enhance your marketing campaign by setting your programs and classes apart from the competition. If your training features a technological or ideological innovation, don’t hide it — make it a centerpiece of your marketing. By incorporating new approaches to firearms training, you can attract both gun enthusiasts and new firearms users with diverse interests.
Here are three innovative techniques to consider:
- Virtual and/or augmented reality: Virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) are modern technologies that use hardware and software to supplement and change one’s experience, or their “reality,” so to speak. These technologies can yield highly immersive experiences that promote skills including awareness, accuracy, draw speed, and more.
- Interact online modules: Online modules can provide students with flexibility in how and when they absorb information. They can access training materials at their convenience, which is something that has grown in popularity since online college and work-from-home opportunities have become the norm. People want to achieve their goals on their own time, and offering online learning modules can help your firearms training business meet this demand in the market.
- Live-streamed classes: For people who want the experience of attending a real firearms training class but are unable to attend in person, live-streamed classes can be the answer. There are some aspects of firearms training that do not require the student to actually be at the class. In these instances, you can offer live-streamed classes. These classes can exist behind a paywall, or you can consider posting some of them online as a way to attract more leads.
Building a Strong Brand in Gun Training Services
Some of the most successful firearms training companies have reached their position thanks to strong branding. Branding is crucial for setting yourself apart from other companies in your corner of the industry. Whether you’re strictly a local brand or you attract gun enthusiasts from across the country, your branding will be the key to showing everyone who you are and what they can expect from you.
Here are some things to consider if you’re looking to build a strong brand for your gun training business:
- Be unapologetically you: You have passions and personality. You think about gun training in a certain way, and that should be evident in your brand. If you’re unsure how to brand your firearms training business, start with what makes you passionate. That will come most easily to you as you interact with clients and engage with them both in person and online.
- Align your branding across platforms: Once you’ve decided on your branding details, make sure they’re aligned across platforms. That means your website, social media channels, marketing emails, and ads should feel uniform. They should feature your branded colors, fonts, and “voice.” That way, no matter where someone sees your content, they’ll know immediately that it’s your company’s and no one else’s.
- Build an online community: Fostering a strong online community is important to solidifying your branding in the eyes of your followers. Join or start Facebook groups where like-minded people can interact with one another, share information, and plan in-person meetups. Always respond to comments and messages in groups and on your profile page in a timely manner, preferably within a day.
- Offer merchandise: Merchandise is another great way to strengthen your branding and get some free advertising. Your merchandise can feature your logo, motto, and brand colors, for instance. Fans of your brand will love supporting you by buying your merchandise, and then they’ll wear it or display it proudly for others to see and ask about.
Prepare for Future Directions and Trends in Gun Training Marketing with The Coutts Agency!
As you plan your marketing campaign and look ahead to the future of the gun training industry, you need a partner who will help you navigate every twist and turn. You need a partner who has helped other companies in the firearms industry like yours, one that shares your values and cares about spreading responsible firearm education to the masses. You need The Coutts Agency.
We specialize in all manner of firearms marketing, including firearms training companies, gun ranges, gun shops, manufacturers, and more. We’re passionate about the 2nd Amendment and love helpling firearms industry companies reach their marketing goals.
If you’d like to learn more or take the next step toward successfully marketing your firearms training business, let’s talk!