The next big adventure — that’s what thrill seekers around the world are looking for on a regular basis. An adventure tour provides an exciting opportunity for people to visit new places, see breathtaking sights, and make memories that will last a lifetime. But how do people find out where they want their next expedition to be, anyway?
The answer — they find out through your adventure company’s digital marketing campaign! Whether you run an adventure tourism company, a resort that offers outdoor expeditions, or some other type of outdoor adventure business, you need to use adventure tourism promotion and digital expedition campaigns to help your target audience find out about you.
In this guide, you’ll discover some of the best foundational practices to achieve successful outdoor adventure branding and bring your adventure company to new heights!
Harnessing the Power of Social Media to Showcase Adventures
If you’ve ever spent any time on social media, then you’ve seen that adventure-loving friend of yours post pictures and videos of their latest experience. Whether they climbed a high mountain peak, visited a historical site, or took a journey deep into the jungle, you saw what they were up to. And maybe it got you thinking — “I think it’s time I did something like that, too.”
That’s exactly what you should be trying to get your target audience to think using social media for your adventure business.
Social media for tour operators and other careers in the adventure industry is one of the best tools you can be using to advertise your brand and grow your following. And the best part is that signing up for social media is free. All you have to do is use it the right way to start increasing your followers and raising awareness of the types of experiences you have to offer them.
Here are some best practices for using social media for your adventure tour brand:
- Post consistently: Posting consistently keeps your followers engaged and shows the social media algorithm that your content is worth putting in front of people in their newsfeeds. It’s also crucial for showing newcomers to your brand what your company is like, and that if they follow you, they can expect more content regularly.
- Use quality content: While posting consistently is important, your posts should be high-quality. Giving off an air of professionalism goes a long way toward your target audience trusting your adventure industry company. Avoid vulgarities, typos, or off-topic content in your posts. Instead, use high-quality pictures, videos, and written content to display your brand in the best light possible.
- Stay in-brand: Your posts should all “feel” like they’re coming from the same company, especially if you’re active on several social media channels. Try to be stylistically cohesive with yourself, so that people can more easily get to know you. Having clear brand guidelines, such as a color palette and dedicated fonts, can help viewers recognize your content before they even read your profile name!
- Lean into inspiration and education: There are different types of posts you can make. They can be salesy, educational, inspirational, community-focused, etc. Your posts should lean heavily into inspiration and education, as these are the types of posts that will get adventure enthusiasts excited. Then, when the time is right, you can make a more sales-oriented post, and hopefully gain some more leads!
- Join Facebook groups: Outdoor adventurers maintain a strong sense of community with one another. Your adventure company can use social media to tap into that sense of community by joining relevant Facebook groups. Stay active in these groups by commenting and occasionally making posts of your own. Over time, you can develop a tight-knit group of brand loyalists and show that you truly care about the adventure community!
Content Creation: Captivating Blogs and Expedition Vlogs
Adventure tourism content creation is another key component of a successful digital marketing strategy. In addition to the general use of high-quality pictures and videos, there are two exciting opportunities to help set your adventure industry company apart from the competition — blogs and vlogs. Here’s a closer look at each and how you can use them to gain more leads and establish your company as an industry authority.
Blogs are longform pieces of written content that generally contain anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 words, but they can also be much longer than that depending on the topic at hand. You’re actually reading a blog right now, and when it’s all said and done, you’ll have read around 2,000 words. But what’s so important about blogs anyway? Does your adventure tourism business really need to make them?
Here are some examples of why blogs are so important:
- They’re educational: Blogs are a great way to educate your target audience so they’re more informed when it comes time to make a purchase. We wrote this blog to educate you on how you can best get into digital marketing for your outdoor adventure brand. Likewise, you can create blogs about preparing for adventures, picking a new destination, or any other relevant topic.
- They excite your target audience: Blogs can get adventurers excited. Maybe you’re writing about a recent adventure you took or showing pictures of the area where you give tours and describing the pictures. These types of blogs can really prime your target audience to start planning their next expedition.
- They answer timely questions: When it comes to the outdoor adventure industry, the seasons and weather patterns matter. People will be asking time-relevant questions, and your blogs can help answer those questions and solidify you as an industry expert.
- They help people find your business online: Blogs are one of the best ways for your target audience to find you online. This has to do with Search Engine Optimization (SEO), but you can read more about that a little later in this blog.
- They can build community: Partner with other companies and websites by writing blogs for them or having industry partners write blogs for you. This is a great way to generate traffic between companies and show that you truly are a part of the outdoor adventure community.
Vlogs are like blogs, but in video format. Expedition video marketing in the form of vlogs is a powerful medium for reaching today’s buyers, so using it to educate, entertain, and inspire your audience is a very wise decision for boosting your digital marketing campaign.
When deciding between creating a vlog or a blog, ask yourself whether the viewer would want to “see” the topic at hand or be “told” about it. In some instances, writing a blog could be the best idea, especially if you’re providing a checklist. Other times, like if you’re showing how to use a certain product or identify a poisonous plant on a hiking trail, a video might be better.
One medium isn’t better than the other — there’s simply a time and place for both. It’s up to you to know which to choose for a given topic and situation.
Influencer Collaborations: Partnering With Adventure Enthusiasts
It seems like almost every industry has its share of influencers online, and the same is true of the adventure industry. Not sure if you should be partnering with influencers? Here are some benefits you should know about:
- Build authenticity and trust: If you’re new to the scene, adventurers may be wondering if the experience you’re offering is legit. But if you have an influencer show people how amazing your services are, suddenly people will take note and realize they, too can experience the same thing. People trust the influencers they follow, and having an influencer post content about your company will allow you to gain some residual trust, too.
- Boost your brand with captivating content: The best influencers post truly incredible content that inspires and motivates their core followers. If you’re lacking excellent content to showcase your adventure opportunities, then invite an influencer to come experience it for themselves. They can make captivating content that you can then reuse for your own social channels.
- Expand your reach: Influencers have thousands — and sometimes millions — of followers on social media. Partnering with an influencer allows content about your brand to reach a wider audience than you may be able to reach on your own.
- Increase engagement: An influencer partnership (or several) is a great way to increase engagement for your brand. Many people will click on your profile through the influencer’s posts to find and follow you. You may see a boost in engagement as a result.
SEO Strategies for Adventure Tourism Destinations
SEO, or search engine optimization, is the process that helps people find your business when they search for relevant keywords on Google or other search engines. It’s a crucial part of a complete digital marketing strategy for today’s businesses, and you should strongly consider it for your own business.
Here are some adventure SEO strategies you can consider implementing:
- Optimize your website: Your website should have fast load times, no broken links, and look great on mobile devices and desktop computers alike.
- Tap into local SEO: It can be hard to rank highly against national and international adventure opportunities, but you’ll have a much easier time ranking for local search queries.
- Integrate your social media profiles with your website: Provide links to your social media pages on your website. On social media, encourage your followers to share their user-generated content and tag your company in the posts.
- Rank for specific queries using blogs and vlogs: You already read about the power of blogs and vlogs for your marketing campaign. By targeting specific keywords in your blogs, you can start ranking higher on Google’s search engine results pages (SERPs).
- Get high-quality internal links and backlinks: If you can link one page of your website to another, do so (as long as it’s relevant). Forge partnerships with other companies and blogs to have them link to your website, as Google takes these kinds of links into consideration when ranking sights on the SERPs.
Email Campaigns: Engaging Adventurers With Upcoming Expeditions
Is email marketing dead? Far from it! Email remains one of the best ways to reach people who have already shown interest in your outdoor adventure industry business. Here are some of the reasons why it’s such a good tool for you to be using in your digital marketing campaign:
- Direct engagement: Email marketing puts you right in the inboxes of the people on your subscriber list. If you have something important you need to say, email marketing is a great place to start. Use these emails targeted adventure ads that reach your core audience when you want them to.
- Metrics and insights: Email marketing is a great way to start gathering data to learn more about the people who are interested in your brand. Did your last email get a lot of clicks? If so, why? And if you have separate email lists targeting different demographics, why did one group respond more positively than the other? These are the types of questions you can get answers to via email marketing.
- Deals and incentives: Looking to increase engagement and maybe even get more sales and signups? Offer your audience exclusive deals and limited-time offers in your emails, and get your audience moving!
Utilizing Virtual Reality and AR for Immersive Expedition Previews
One final concept you can consider implementing in your digital expedition campaign is virtual and augmented reality technologies. Virtual reality is a technology that stimulates one’s entire visual and auditory senses to make them feel like they are in another place. It can also incorporate movement for deeper immersion. Augmented reality technology is less captivating, using smartphones or high-tech glasses to blend the real word with virtual elements.
Let your imagination run wild on how you can use these technologies to advertise the experiences, tours, and expeditions that your adventure company has to offer. It could help inspire and motivate more people to want to experience an adventure in real life and provides a unique opportunity for immersive ads!
Start Your Digital Marketing Adventure With The Coutts Agency!
Are you ready to start advertising your adventure tour and grow your business with digital marketing? Here at The Coutts Agency, we’re passionate about helping brands just like yours grow. We love outdoor adventure experiences and want to help share your offerings with the world!
If you’re ready to take the next step, simply fill out the form below. Let’s embark on an adventure together!